Episode 46: How To Turn Passion Into Profit With Designer Carissa Miller
Live Date: February 15, 2021
Show Description: If you’ve ever wondered how to turn your passion into a successful profitable business, this episode is for you. We’re chatting with Carissa Miller, lead designer and co-owner of the successful build and design wife and husband duo company, CC + Mike. Carissa shares insight on steps to take when desiring to walk into your purpose and find a fulfilling career, how to use fear to your advantage to launch your business, and practical tips on leading by example at home with your children.
This episode will teach you:
- Steps to turn your passion into a profitable business
- How to use one career as a springboard to transition into your true purpose
- The benefit of moving from fear to faith
- Tips on listening to your inner voice, silencing limiting beliefs, and leaning into uncomfortable moments to propel you to purpose
- Practical tips on how to lead by example at home for your children
- Carissa shares the importance of getting to a place where you’re more afraid of the what if than the failure. She recommends listening to the prompting to do something that may be uncomfortable because those moments often lead to clarity and purpose.
- Both Heather and Carissa open up about the self-sacrificial guilt that women and moms often feel in pursuing fulfilling careers or passions. You may feel like you shouldn’t be doing something good for yourself because you need to focus on taking care of others, but Carissa wants to empower you to know you can choose yourself and still have it all.
- Carissa reflects on growing up not seeing business women around her. She emphasizes how important it is to pave a different path for her children and encourages you to do the same. Carissa’s 14-year-old daughter, Emmy, launched her very own jewelry line and she credits this to Emmy being a product of her environment. She expresses the significance of leading by example for your kids by training boys to be champions for girls and letting girls know they have a choice and they don’t have to do just one thing.
- After 5 years in business, Carissa shares her top two things she wished she knew before starting:
- Tell yourself you can do it – don’t let limiting beliefs stop you from following your dreams
- Be intentional with how you set your business up from the beginning by already planning ahead for growth and getting a good accountant
- As an expert designer, Carissa shared her top tips for refreshing your home during this current season of spending a lot of time at home:
- Frame your photos and incorporate a gallery wall
- Implement a DIY homework station or work space
- Don’t be afraid of a dark statement wall – adding black wallpaper can surprisingly enhance any space
Thoughts worth sharing:
- “So fun fact, I have a master’s degree in speech pathology. That was my undergrad. And that’s what I did actually for several years before photography started, but I was not using my creative passions. I was not using that part of me. That is the greatest part of me that I was created to do. So could I have been happy? You know, when I look at that, I could still be doing that right now and I would be happy with that, but I wouldn’t be fulfilled.” – Carissa Miller 14:24
- “I think so many women downplay what they are building and they don’t consider themselves an entrepreneur or a CEO or running a legitimate business. Even if it is a side hustle and they’re contributing to their family and they’re being fulfilled in some way by owning and running that side hustle, I think so often we downplay that and we don’t think this is a big deal and this is not impressive. And I just want to change that narrative for so many women.” – Heather Adams 19:08
- “So why I’m so passionate about that is the woman’s domino effect. Like what is this path that is supposed to go, boom, boom, boom. And how many lives could she touch? How many lives could she touch if she knocks down the first domino, but so many people are unwilling to knock down the first time. You know what I mean? And so that’s why I’m so passionate about it because I think this is about paying it forward. This is about what we are supposed to do with our lives. I think it’s about the parable of the talents. When God said I’ve given you this, are you going to be the person who buries it or are you going to be the person who uses it?” – Carissa Miller 35:28
Resources and Links from Show:
- Target 9 Piece Frame Gallery
- Abercrombie Mini Puffer
- Bridgerton on Netflix
- Carissa’s 14 Upcoming Projects