Episode 49: How to Succeed at Being Partners in Business & Life with Hunter and Cameron Premo
Live Date: 3/8/2021
Show Description: In today’s episode, we’re talking with the dynamic husband-and-wife, photographer-and-influencer duo Hunter and Cameron Premo about what it looks like to partner in life and in work. Cameron and Hunter are high school sweethearts who’ve worked together to utilize Cameron’s phenomenal photography and web design skills to build Hunter’s platform as a lifestyle, fashion, and travel blogger and influencer into a thriving business. On the show, we talk about tips for working with your partner, how to build a life and a business that works for you, practical tips for growing and expanding your business, and their best advice for those getting started as an influencer or photographer.
Link to Full Episode:
This episode will teach you:
- Tips for being in business with your partner
- How to set boundaries when working from home
- Advice for creating a life that works for you
- Practical tips to grow and expand your business
- Productivity hacks to help you work more efficiently
- Building a business with your spouse presents unique challenges. Hunter and Cameron have found that having clear, defined roles and knowing how and when to communicate with each other have enabled them to work together smoothly, as has putting boundaries in place to help them keep work and family time separate. And when problems come up or frustration creeps in, keeping a perspective of thankfulness–for their time together, the opportunities to travel and do what they love, and ability to spend more time with their son–has helped them tremendously.
- When it comes to growing and expanding a business, it’s key to outsource the things that others can easily do in order to focus on the things that only you can do. Hunter and Cameron were both wearing all the hats and doing all the things, until they hired an assistant, a manager, and a financial advisor last year. Doing so has enabled both Hunter and Cameron to dream and brainstorm about where they want their businesses to go and to spend more time being creative, instead of bogged down in the weeds.
- When you’re building a business, Hunter and Cameron’s best advice is to be yourself, trust your gut, find your style, and avoid comparing yourself to others in your field. While finding inspiration is important, if that turns to comparison it will cause you to lose sight of what you’re doing and why you’re in business.
- “At the end of the day, it’s us versus a problem. It’s not us versus each other.” Cameron Premo 16:52
- “When we are on these family trips, when we do have to work, I try to remind myself how amazing it is that we’re able to spend time with each other and our baby and go to these amazing places. And then we also get to share these small businesses, who have…been so appreciative of the business that we brought. So even when we have to work, that is such a driving factor for me….Coming at it from a place of thankfulness really helps.” Hunter Premo 24:00
- “We’re trying to get to the point where we’re only doing the things that we can do, which is also the creativity and being able to get back to the root of why we started this.” Cameron Premo 33:41
- “I’ve always wanted kids, but I’ve never been the person that’s just obsessed with kids. I will say it is so, so different when you have your own. And it is by far my favorite role I’ve ever had and just the best thing that’s ever happened to us. For sure. And I think it has really made me a lot more efficient with my time, because I want to spend every waking moment with him and just stare at him giggling and all the special things that come with him growing up. So I think as a business owner, it’s really made me more purposeful. Truly delegating things to my assistant and my team, and kind of just letting go of things has been huge for me.” Hunter Premo 41:50
- “Remember to be patient, remember to communicate well, remember to listen to each other and just know that you’re going to change. You’re both going to change within the whole aspect of your business and relationship. And that’s a good thing. Change is always good.” Cameron Premo 44:00
- “In the influencer world, I always get questions about, ‘is it too late to start?’ or ‘is it too saturated?’ And my honest opinion is that there’s room for everyone, if you’re true to yourself.” Hunter Premo 44:48
- “Don’t ever compare yourself to someone else. You’re not them. Their life is not your life and what you’re doing is great, as long as you’re putting everything into it. You may be comparing yourself to someone else, but they might be looking right back at you and comparing themselves to you, wishing that they had the opportunities you have and created the work you created.” Cameron Premo 47:10
Resources and Links from Show: